a) Small business (less than 20 employees or full time equivalent)
b) Large business (20 or more employees or full time equivalent)
This Award recognises demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement of workplace health and safety outcomes through the creation and continuation of an outstanding work safety culture. An outstanding safety culture is created through leadership, workforce engagement and training; and reinforced across the organisation using the following:
- robust safety systems with cooperation and collaboration at all stages of the planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting
- demonstrated behaviour and workforce engagement
- evidence of recognition programs, awareness campaigns and risk management
Excellence in safety culture must be demonstrated at all levels of the organisation, from senior management’s commitment to health and safety, to employees’ communication and ownership of responsibility.
For entry in this category, submissions must show the following:
- Describe your safety culture and its key components. How long has it been in place?
- How do your staff and management demonstrate and take ownership of your safety culture across the organisation?
- Has your safety culture been fully integrated into the business? For example – recognition and awareness programs, senior management commitment, workforce engagement, design, purchasing, contract and contractor management, change management, WHSMS audits, management reviews etc.
- What are the results? Include performance information such as injury frequency and severity, claims costs, claims vs industry performance etc.
Please limit responses to under 1000 characters (including spaces).
If your entry progresses to a site visit, the visiting inspector may request to:
- interview workers and management about your safety culture
- see evidence of control measures in place
- review claims or incident/injury data for at least the previous 12 months
- see evidence of work health and safety reporting and consultation
- any other evidence to show a strong organisational safety culture.